The situation in Pakistan is evolving rapidly. After the no-confidence motion against Imran Khan’s government was dismissed in the National Assembly on Sunday, he had the Parliament dissolved and announced fresh polls.
While the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf is gearing up for the elections, the Opposition is waging a war against the government’s actions in the Supreme Court.
In the meantime, Imran Khan continues to occupy the chair of the Prime Minister even after he was removed from the post via a notification issued by the Pakistan Cabinet Secretariat on Sunday night. He will retain office till a caretaker Prime Minister is appointed.
Here are the latest developments from Pakistan:
APPOINTMENT OF CARETAKER PM
President Arif Alvi has sent letters to Imran Khan and Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif to seek suggestions for the appointment of a caretaker prime minister in Pakistan.
However, Shehbaz Sharif has said, “Yesterday, the President violated the constitution and no consultation can be held with him.”
SUPREME COURT HEARING
The Supreme Court continued hearing the case on the political situation in the country at 1.30 pm IST on Monday. The three-member bench was expanded into a five-member one.
The Supreme Court has called for an explanation of the Deputy Speaker’s dismissal of the no-confidence motion against Imran Khan on Sunday
Attorney General Khalid Mehmud will present an explanation regarding the Speaker’s ruling in the Supreme Court.
Following the dissolution of the Pakistan National Assembly and consequent to the cessation of the office of the Prime Minister, the following have also ceased to hold office:
25 Federal Ministers
4 Ministers of State
4 Advisors to Prime Minister
19 Special Assistants
After the Pakistan government dissolved the Parliament, the united opposition chose its own Speaker and held a parallel session.
PML-N leader Ayaz Sadiq took the chair of Speaker and declared the no-confidence motion against Imran Khan’s government successful with 197 votes.
– The no-confidence motion against Imran Khan in the National Assembly of Pakistan was rejected by the Deputy Speaker. The Assembly session was prorogued.
– Imran Khan advised the President to dissolve the Parliament and asked the nation to prepare for fresh elections.
– Imran Khan was de-notified as the Prime Minister. He will remain in office till the appointment of a caretaker PM.
– A caretaker government will be formed in the next few days.
– The matter is in the Supreme Court after the Opposition said that what had happened was unconstitutional.